History

Visions - Made in Germany and Switzerland

At the beginning was a spirit of brilliant innovation and visionary thinking − which still applies today. Innovation, creativity and specialist knowledge are the foundations of our company philosophy and of our success.

Today

Hectronic is present around the world, with around 300 employees, 7 subsidiaries and more than 70 sales partners. With its wide-ranging spectrum of products and services, Hectronic meets the challenges of global business.

2014

Following the foundation of Hectronic Vertriebs- & Service GmbH in Oberhausen, Hectronic further strengthens its presence in the German market. A new branch is opened in Bremen. Together, these two locations serve the entire north-west of Germany.

2013

Founding of Hectronic Vertriebs- & Service GmbH in Oberhausen, Germany.
Takeover of the sales and support activities of the pump supplier Bennett & Sauser in Solothurn, Switzerland.

2010

Hectronic continues to strengthen its worldwide sales and service network with the establishment of another Hectronic branch in Chesapeake, USA. The USA is the world’s largest market for parking meters and holds great potential for growth for Hectronic.

2009

Hectronic acquires EDV SOS GmbH in Hörsching, Austria – a specialist in POS systems.

2006

In January 2006, Hectronic celebrates the 10th anniversary of the merger in Bonndorf and the change of management with a festive evening event.

2005

The intelligent parking and fuelling system solutions from Hectronic are well received by the market. The products’ quality and innovation are compelling and make them one of the market leaders in both segments.

The new subsidiary Hectronic India is opened in Bangalore. At the end of 2005, Stefan Forster succeeds his father Ernst Forster as managing director of the family-owned company.

2000

When one division of a group is acquired by a small, foreign company there are always plenty of cultural clashes – the newly merged company needs several years to consolidate and develop new products. Now Hectronic is ready to go out and conquer global markets, with some new partners and independent branch offices.

On 15.2.2000, the Hectronic Polska subsidiary is established in Czestochowa, Poland. The three managing directors, Tomasz Gabrys, Darius Kostrzewa and Jacek Wojtasik all take a minority stake.

Just a few months later the subsidiary Hectronic France is established in Paris. Here too, the branch manager, Sylvain Duverger, becomes a minority shareholder.

1999

Production is closed down in Brugg, Switzerland and moved to Bonndorf. Sales and service remain in Switzerland.

1996

While Hectronic extends its presence, Mannesmann-Kienzle and later VDO-Kienzle run into difficulties. The economic situation does not improve and does not spare the long-established company either. At the beginning of 1996, Hectronic AG acquires the production line in Bonndorf with its two divisions Fuelling and Parking from VDO Kienzle.

1964

Whereas the first pillar of today’s company (Kienzle) is a well-established business in the mid-1960s, the second is still just a start-up. Hectronic AG is founded in Brugg, Switzerland, in 1964. The company establishes itself on the market with an automatic cut-off system for fuel dispensers under the same name and a control system for road tankers. Hectronic gains a leading position in Switzerland by equipping 30,000 storage tanks.

1950/55

The automobile becomes a symbol of post-war recovery in Germany. The growing number of motorised vehicles, especially in urban areas, causes congestion on and off the road and at filling stations too. The firm Kienzle sees what is going on and identifies the resulting market potential. Kienzle becomes a pioneer in the filling station industry.

Now adding machines and calculators are also produced in Isny. The site in Isny turns out to be too small, however, and too far away from Villingen. As luck would have it, the mayor and town council of Bonndorf are offering two brand new factory sites to attract new companies. Kienzle and Dunker acquire both sites. In 1955, Kienzle moves the production facility from Isny to Bonndorf and starts to manufacture parking meters under license there at the same time. Within the next three years the workforce grows from 25 to 80.

1944/45

Shortly before the end of the Second World War, the production of slide valves for controlling jet engines, diesel submarine engines and ramjets is moved from Villingen to Isny in the Allgäu. A few months after the war is over, the French occupying troops disassemble all the machinery and take it from Isny to France. In Isny, they start again from scratch with the production of twisting devices for silk mills and drills for dentists and dental laboratories. This was the beginning of Kienzle Feinbau KG in Isny.

1928

The company Kienzle AG, founded in 1922 by the brothers Hellmut and Herbert Kienzle, is split in two. Hellmut Kienzle takes the watchmaking business in Schwenningen and Dr. Herbert Kienzle the taxi and parking meter division – which will later become Kienzle-Apparate GmbH in Villingen.